With Mother’s Day around the corner, we’re spending the month of April celebrating all the moms in our lives.
Meet our favorite Portuguese grandmother. Born in 1928 (on the kitchen floor) in a village near Porto, Clementina is a force to be reckoned with: her resilience, independence, and strength are near-universal traits of motherhood. Get to know her in this video, and we hope it inspires you to get to know the life stories of the mother figures in your life.
Avó Clementina Bean Stew
- Stir fry onion in olive oil.
- Peel a carrot.
- Cut carrot and tomato into pieces.
- Throw in tomato and carrot.
- Add a bay leaf.
- Let it cook for a while.
- Cut pork belly and pigs feet, previously cooked in water and salt.
- Throw in the meat.
- Add beans, previously cooked in water and salt.
- Season with salt.
- Let it cook for 20 minutes on low.
- Serve with bread.